Wednesday, 15 September 2010

General Agitation #2- Plain English Please!!!

                                                                                      source

I know I'm not perfect myself and probably say 'y'know' too much, but here are some little niggles I have with conversations in spoken and written forms. They are in no particular order of irritation......

In speech:

1) Saying 'persific'- instead of 'specific'
2) Saying 'like' every other world- I blame the Americans for this one. Once heard an American girl chatting to her friend on the tube. 42 times in the space of 4 minutes. I kid you not!
3) 'I writ I down'- no you 'wrote' it down
4) Someone over using the word 'obviously' when they are explaining something to me
5) 'At the end of the day....' - most commonly heard on daytime talk shows
6) saying 'i'm not being funny, but....' - and then they say something which is is 'funny'

In written form:

1) A question with an exclamation mark rather than a question mark
2) ritN n txt spk owtsd of a txt - i had to look this one up using a handy txt translator

Have I missed any out?

Lx

1 comment:

  1. writing TO instead of TOO and saying you/we/they was- oh that kills me and English isn't even my first language.

    ReplyDelete