Friday, 10 September 2010

The End of Big Brother

                  
                                                                                                             
So, tonight marks the end of the reality TV phenomena Big Brother. A programme that is about 5 years passed its sell-by date.


I admit that I watched this show when it first started. Since series 3, have dipped in and out of it. The last few years it has been completely off my radar and this year- I didn't even know it was still going on until a lunch-time discussion with some work friends (you know who you are!). They brought it to my attention that past housemates would be reprised in the two week long 'Ultimate Big Brother'. I watched with curious interest to see who they would bring back, I got sucked in a little for the first week. Haven't been bothering with it since.


It's such a shame. It all started off so innocently. Labelled as a 'social experiment' in 2000, I remember channel 4 showing a pre documentary about the shows success in the Netherlands and how the term 'Big Brother' came from George Owells classic '1984', a book I had always wanted to read and ended up buying the day after. It is still a favourite of mine. I will re-read it once every two years now. The idea of filming ten people for who were locked in a house 24/7 seemed like an interesting concept. What would happen? Would they become friends? Would they fight? Would they become crazy? Turns out.... all the above.


For the first two series, the Big Brother house was located in Bow, London. Just down the road from where I lived at the time in Plaistow with my uni housemates. It was always good to pop out into the garden on finale night and watch the massive firework display. It brought a little excitement to a normally dull and depressing area.


What the program became is very far removed from its beginnings. It brought in people who used it as a fast-track to their five minutes of fame and then inevitable obscurity. Happily only a few managed to make much money from their 'experience'.


I expect they will go all out tonight. The crowds will be bigger, the fireworks will be louder. Will I be watching tonight? Maybe, for old-time’s sake.


Lx



No comments:

Post a Comment